Thursday, September 13, 2012

The world of the magazine…






  Do you ever wonder whether or not all the models you see on the covers of magazines are air brushed or "retouched"? I did, until I had some exposure to the topic studying graphic design and photography in school. I had to learn basic techniques on how to air brush, nip, tuck, and remove unwanted items from images. 

  Well today I was asked to evaluate what I think when I go through the check out lines and see all of the magazines covers. If I think the images that I see are realistic? Probably not, based on what I’ve learned in school, what you can’t do with make up, you can now do thanks to Photoshop
  
  Do I agree? Depends on how you look at it and what side of the fence you are on. As a photographer,  I agree with the statement “I’m only making her look her best”, well its true. You want to betray the client the best you can with highlighting their best feature with hopefully classic artistic poses and have the best make up artist to hid any unwanted flaws that the camera might highlight. Not only do you want your client to look their best,  but you want to look good too. You do this by making them look good or better than the camera might betray them. When you photograph someone it can highlight flaws that you may not notice or focus on. We try to hide that and show you how we see the client. Then sometimes we go to the extreme so that we don’t look bad. 

  Do I think this misrepresents men and women? Sure. Nothing you see anymore is real. People have flaws. It is what makes them unique and different. They are REAL , not some spray painted Hollywood picture. That’s why I have always loved the pictures showing real life shots, not their glamor shots or pictures with no make-up. It shows how much they are real people just like you and me. And if you enjoy these to,  here is MORE.
 






No comments:

Post a Comment